A number of quarries populated this area in the 1880s and by the 1890 the largest quarry employed almost 500 men. Stone was cut and shipped to cities like Omaha, St. Louis and Chicago for street paving. Following hard economic times and the increased use of concrete, the quarries of East Sioux Falls closed in 1913. Today this area is part of 115 acre park, a dream by local environmental advocate, Mary Jo Wegner. When Mary Jo discovered the area she fell in love with the history of the quarries, rail lines and building foundations. The park is still under construction but once completed it will have six gardens, exhibits and will extend the Sioux Falls Bike Trail. Mary Jo’s vision was to connect the past with the future while preserving the wetlands and native plants that make the area beautiful still today.
- Author: kelli m
- Date Posted: Sep 16, 2013
- Category: Primary Outcropping
- Address: 1900 S. Perry Place , Sioux Falls, SD 57110