The Big Sioux River flows between cliffs of Sioux quartzite that reach as high as 40 feet. In the late 1800s the area offered a number of natural advantages for the development of a town. With its beauty and powerful water it caught the attention of Peter Morse in 1871 who partnered with other businessmen to build what was initially known as Dell City. The population of the area grew steadily in 1872 as a post office, flour mill, school and churches were all built. May of the businesses that would follow were built using Sioux quartzite.
Images From The Dells